Friday, July 29, 2011

Fit 'N Healthy

So, in December of 2010 I was getting all dolled up to go to a party.  It was a black and white event and I figured I had tons of cute outfits to choose from.  I opened my closet and yes, there were lots of cute outfits.  I began trying them on, and nothing fit!  I decided that in January I would be one of those "Resolution" type people up at the gym.  When I weighed in I was so disappointed!

I decided to do something about it.  I took a good hard look at my eating habits.  I wasn't really eating too much junk...OK, I was eating a lot of chocolate chip cookies!  Other than that, I was simply eating too many calories. I downloaded and began to use MyFitnessPal which is a website and app that helps you figure out a calorie goal based on what is right for you and your weight loss goals.  You record all of your dietary intake as well as any cardiovascular or strength training workouts.  I also used a running app, C25K and then Bridge to 10k.  The weight just melted off, about five pounds per month until I started running longer distances and lost more!

I'm so proud of my progress.  It's not just about the fact that I  lost 31 pounds and can get into my skinny jeans.  I feel so much better!  I actually want to be in the gym.  When I walk into the gym, I go to Lifetime Fitness, I feel like I'm in my happy place.  It's hard, and I sweat big time, but as a good friend of mine said, "You will never regret going to the gym.  You will regret not going."

I am now training for a half marathon which will be on December 4, 2011.  I've started training with longer runs, my longest, 9.3 miles.  Looking back I never really thought I could do this, but I kept up the mantra, "If you don't try, you can't succeed."  I started out barely being able to run for 2 minutes and now I run for an hour.  Wow!

The marathon supports the Scottish Rites Hospital for Children.  I am taking part in a fundraising effort to help  support this worthy cause.  If you would like to make a donation, please scroll to the bottom of my page.  There is a form provided there.  Thank you in advance to anyone who participates.

No comments:

Post a Comment